Even though spring is here, sometimes the weather just won’t be right for outside play. When it’s a bit chilly or rainy, you need some indoor activities to entertain your children. Hit the craft store one day and pick up some supplies. Store them in a closet until the day is just right. When you’re ready for craft time, use these fun spring ideas.
Cupcake Liner Chickies
Photo and craft by I Heart Crafty Things
These little chickens are perfect for spring and they’re easy for little hands. You will need:
- Green and orange construction paper
- Bright yellow cupcake liners
- Google eyes (from the craft store)
- Orange or brown marker
- Yellow tissue paper or feathers
- Glue the liners to the green paper.
- Glue two eyes on to each liner.
- Cut diamond shaped beaks out of the orange paper. Fold them in half and glue one side to the cupcake liner.
- Cut hearts of out the tissue paper and glue to each side of the liners for wings.
- Draw chicken feet with marker.
Pasta Butterfly Garden
Photo and craft by Creative Nanny
These lttle hanging gardens make perfect bedroom decorations! Helpful tip: If your kids are too young, glue the Popsicle sticks in advance so your kids can worry about the decorating. You will need:
- Popsicle sticks (7 for each garden)
- Pipe cleaners (1 for each garden)
- Farfalle pasta (regular and/or mini size)
- Craft foam flower/ladybug stickers
- Magic markers
- Craft glue or glue dots
- Hot-glue gun
- White craft paint (if desired)
- Hot glue the Popsicle sticks together.
- Attach a pipe cleaner to the back of the top rail on either side for a handle.
- Paint the sticks any color you prefer or leave it bare for a wood look.
- Color the “butterflies” (dried pasta pieces) with magic markers.
- Apply cute insect stickers all over.
- Attach your pasta butterflies.
Egg Carton Flowers
Photo and craft by Mod Podge Rocks
When you’re finished with these flowers, you will want to hang them on your wall. They actually make great decorations! There are tons of variations you can make, too, so you’ll have to experiment. You will need:
- 9 x 12 canvas
- Mod Podge sparkle
- Cardboard egg carton
- Apple Barrel acrylic paint
- Green pipe cleaners
- Yellow ribbon
- White buttons
- Craft glue
- Paint the canvas any color you prefer. You’ll want to use several coats and let it dry for a few hours.
- Cut out the individual cups of the egg carton to make the flower petals. Remove any excess material. Trim it a bit to make the “petals” more distinct.
- Paint the flowers different bright colors and let them dry for a while.
- Give the flowers several coats of sparkle.
- Trim the pipe cleaners to the right length and tie together with a ribbon. Glue these to the canvas with craft glue or hot glue.
- Glue a button to the center of each flower and then glue the flower to the canvas.
Written by Holly MacLean from Wee Urban
As a new mom, Holly was driven to start Wee Urban™ to offer the modern family a unique and fresh collection of eco-friendly baby gear and accessories that goes beyond the conventional and explores the exceptional! Tired of traditional pinks and blues and cute motifs, we offer sophisticated designs, “conscious” organic alternatives, practical functionality and superior quality. Using our custom certified organic cotton blends, low-impact dyes, and other trendsetting fabrics, we hope to inspire families to be make better choices and of course- do it all in urban style!
Beyond our organic cotton and azo-free dyes, Wee Urban uses 100% post-consumer packaging and tags for our Wee Dreams™ Sleep Bags. Our distinctive screen-printing is done with 100% eco-inks and are all phthalate free.
We also recycle our remnants and donate as much as possible to local elementary schools to help with arts and crafts programs.
For more information, visit wwww.weeurban.com
Interested in writing a guest blog for Wee Urban? Send your topic idea to firstname.lastname@example.org
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Wee Urban makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.